THEO H. DAVIES & CO.
Moving from their twenty-fourth floor views of the ocean and Honolulu harbor to a second floor setback space fronting fast food restaurants and unkept buildings was perhaps the greatest challenge to the client’s psyche. And while they wished to portray their corporate history as well as their present day conglomerates, the primary requirement was to provide a comfortable, energized environment for all employees.
History and current subsidiaries of the company are evoked through the design with material choices. Dark-stained wood paneling and millwork are a comfortable reminder of their previous offices. The floors are paved in grey-veined white marble and the reception area walls are heavily textured plaster similar to old Kamaaina houses and buildings. Reception seating covered in metallic slate leather with perforated seat and back cushions invoke the sleek lines of Euromotors’ prestigious imported cars. The Theo H. Davies logo is woven into the custom wool carpet, and memorabilia of this company’s history is highlighted in the paneled display case. Set into wall recesses to either side of the reception desk are tall bronze plaques that once adorned the 1927 Bishop Street Headquarters.
To counter the lack of views, all offices are pulled off the window wall. What became the primary circulation corridor in essence became an enclosed lanai with a continuous row of ceiling-height, operable white-painted shutters, which both soften the views and provide further sun control. Inboard walls of this corridor are contrasted with dark-stained wood doors and an aluminum storefront with patterned glass. Carpeting throughout the offices is dyed a deep charcoal with celadon green yarns in wave patterns that recall the Theo Davies’ logo.