Awards:2016 ACECH Engineering Excellence Competition Honor Award
2015 NAIOP Kukulu Hale Award
Sustainable Design/Interior Architecture:Ferraro Choi And Associates Ltd.
Mechanical/Electrical/Energy:WSP Lincolne Scott
Structural Engineer:Libbey Heywood Inc.
Civil Engineer:Kim & Shiroma Engineers
Landscape Architect:Belt Collins Hawaii Ltd.
Lighting:H.E. Banks + Associates
Telecom, Audio Visual, Acoustics:Shen Milsom & Wilke Inc.
LEED Documentation/Energy Studies:RMI / ENSAR Built Environment
Commissioning Authority:Engineering Economics Inc.
Cost Estimating:Rider Levett Bucknall Ltd.
More Videos:Information Technology Center Awarded LEED Gold UH Information Technology Center to house portion of state’s IT systems
INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY CENTER
University of Hawaii at Manoa
Designed by Ferraro Choi, the new sustainably-designed 70,000 square-foot University of Hawaii Information Technology Service Center consolidates IT administration, operations, and support infrastructure into one facility. Located in the heart of the Manoa campus on the island of Oahu, Hawaii, the new IT Service Center will be seeking to achieve LEED (Leadership in Energy and Efficiency Design) Silver Certification in accordance with LEED NC (New Construction) version 2.2 guidelines with the United States Green Building Council (USGBC). The LEED for New Construction Rating System is designed to guide and distinguish high-performance sustainable green commercial and institutional projects that implement strategies for better health and environmental performance.
Information Technology Center
The new state-of-the-art Data Center enables university-wide technology services to support education, research, and administration for University of Hawaii campuses throughout the state of Hawaii, and provides different ways in which digital information can be obtained and transformed for students, faculty, and administrators:
- A “Help Desk” offers computer support online, wirelessly, or in person;
- Training rooms facilitate classes and broadcast opportunities;
- Video conference facilities supports distance learning, multi-media displays, broadcast and archiving opportunities;
- A digital media production center furnishes high-end editing stations with advanced audio support, sound booths, training, and presentation capabilities.
Application of Sustainable Green Design Strategies
The building is an educational tool sharing the advancement of information technology with the positive benefits of sustainable technologies. Sustainable green design strategies include:
- Energy-efficient building orientation;
- Daylighting strategies including horizontal light shelves;
- Displacement ventilation to reduce energy consumption;
- Renewable energy including photovoltaic systems and wind turbines;
- Water catchment system;
- Biodiversity and green walls;
- Vegetated roofs and lanais to mitigate storm drainage;
- Healthy indoor air quality;
- Systems commissioning;
- Conservations of resources;