Hosoi Garden Mortuary
Hosoi Garden Mortuary (Hosoi) was founded in 1900 to serve the Japanese and Asian communities of Honolulu. Originally located on North Kukui Street, it adopted its namesake, Foster Gardens. In the late 1950s, a newer more modern facility was built at the edge of Chinatown and downtown Honolulu on Nuuanu Avenue. Then services were expanded to include the greater multi-ethnic needs of Honolulu and the island of Oahu.
The new parking structure is Phase 1 of a long-range, multi-phase redevelopment of the Hosoi Garden Mortuary site. Construction of the 3-story, open garage is predominantly architectural and structural pre-cast concrete, using decorative form patterns. A micro-pile foundation is being used to address poor soil conditions, to decrease construction time of the foundation, and minimize the impact of construction noise on mortuary operations.
Aluminum slats and tubes are being used to provide decorative planes and to enclosure the stairwells. Decorative stainless steel mesh is being used in security screens. As the first phase of renovations, the new parking garage will be constructed of painted pre-cast concrete panels, and will include a machine room-less passenger elevator. The elevator and stair tower also will have metal grillwork and special accent lighting.